Alternative uses for your UniWiz cardboard boxes after delivery //
You have arrived at your new University, met your new housemates, had your boxes delivered and are now settled in. However, what are you going to do with your empty UniWiz cardboard boxes?
Option 1: Store them for your next move – realistically University rooms are notoriously small but you may find space in a hidden cupboard under the stairs (Harry Potter style) or on top of a wardrobe.
Option 2: Crush them, getting rid of any pent up anxiety/anger and then recycle. If you have located the recycle bin yet?
Option 3 (My personal favorite) : Have fun with them……
Alternative uses for empty UniWiz boxes
- Make it into a fancy dress box: Everyone loves a themed party and University is rife with a fancy dress parties. A box of options is highly useful and will probably make you very popular with less organised housemates too. A sheet to make into a ghost, an old school uniform, a doctor or nurse uniform, a floral garland or some fake ivy….. all useful and into the box!
- A Welcome Mat: University should be a time where you develop your skills of ingenuity and learn to think outside the box (no pun intended). It is also a time of lack of funds so, utilise what you have. A nice cardboard rectangle with a written on “Welcome” could be a nice addition to your doorway.
- Sustainable Decorations: An encore to the above – how about making a cardboard garland for your door or some pretty flowers for the wall…. Be inspired by the green/sustainable brigade on the University campus and re-use the cardboard. That hot, eco-warrior girl will be impressed.
- Make a laundry box: University has many pros but one of the cons is washing. No family assistance now, you are in charge! Oh and don’t worry, no one really knows the difference between bio and non-bio detergent, just stick some in!
- Car organiser: If you are one of the few students who takes a car to University, you will need to keep it organised because it will be full of people a lot of the time. A UniWiz box in the boot can help organise text books, spare clothes and many random bits and bobs. You can also use the lid flaps of your box to make dividing walls to segment and it and be super organised.
- Sledge: If it snows during term time, you are onto a winner. In optimal circumstances, a flattened box makes a great on-the-spot sled. A little extra ski or snowboard wax makes for a white knuckle ride too….
- Furniture: I have seen an amazing armchair made just out of rolled cardboard tubes. It was so cool, we all wanted one and the guy ended up making some beer money from it. So, get creative. You may just entertain yourself for an hour, you may make something cool out of it for your room or you may create a masterpiece and have a cottage industry from your Uni halls!
- Get competitive: Bonding with you housemates is so important. What better way than a bit of friendly competition? Pair up, have a box each and see who can make the coolest creation in a defined amount of time.
- Blackout blind: Sleeping at University is important but it doesn’t necessarily take place during the traditional sleeping hours. A flattened cardboard box can block out the light from a window very effectively so you can enjoy your afternoon nap.
- Door sign: Uni halls can be a little bland so personalizing is key. How about a personalized door sign?
- Drawer dividers: With limited space, being organised is important. If you cut strips of cardboard you can divide drawers and keep things super easy to find. Especially useful when you wake up 5 minutes before a lecture starts.
- Festive decorations: First Christmas at University, you will want to decorate. Cardboard can be cut into little Christmas trees – if you cut two you can slot them together to make a standing one. A bit of glitter spray and voila!